Doesn’t it seem like excuses come easy when it’s time to go to the gym or work out? Just ask yourself this: Would you use that same excuse if it were shopping or a Swedish massage was on your agenda instead of exercise? Probably not. That’s when you know you’re making excuses. So, instead of making excuses, let’s make time.
Okay, so maybe you have four kids under the age of 10 and work a full-time job. It’s true that some of us are busier than others. Just understand that it’s important to find time to take care of your body, and do your best to make it happen-even if it’s only for a few minutes a day.
Here are some tips that might make it easier for you to find time for fitness in your busy schedule:
- Set goals that are just outside your comfort zone. If just going to the gym isn’t enough to motivate you, how about training for a 5K. Think about how great your body will look when you finally cross that finish line.
- Unleash your inner child. Remember that exercise doesn’t have to be a chore. You can get exercise with aerobic dance, karate or even mud wrestling (please post pix of your mud wrestling!). Just do what feels good and you’ll be more likely to find the time to fit it into your day.
- Focus on nutrition. When you have a day that just won’t work with your fitness goals, be sure to eat right. Of course, you should always focus on nutrition, but it’s even more important when you’re feeling stressed and can’t get the exercise your body needs.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. You might only be able to fit 10 minutes of exercise in each day. If that’s all you can manage, then that’s what’s going to work for you. Don’t beat yourself up because a coworker is able to spend an hour at the gym. Yes, it would be great if you could do that, but you’re doing what you can. At least you’re committing yourself to exercising daily.
- Put exercise on your schedule. Just like everything else in your busy life, exercise should be on the agenda. Once it’s done, you can cross it off the list and get on with your day feeling fresh and invigorated.
- Exercise at work. On your really busy days, take a walk around the building at work. Ideally, you should do this outside, but inside will work in a pinch. And, always take the stairs instead of the elevator when you get the chance.