It’s the new diet craze; eating more MUFA at every meal. A MUFA is a monounsaturated fatty acid; a fancy way of describing the healthy fats that are in plant foods. Numerous studies have shown that these fats enhance heart health, protect against chronic diseases and may target the dreaded belly fat.
Here are the top five MUFA foods and how to incorporate them in your daily diet:
- Oils: This includes flaxseed, olive, peanut, safflower, sesame, and walnut. 1 tablespoon of any of these is all you need for a daily serving.
- Nut and seeds: This includes natural peanut butter, cashews, Brazil nuts, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, and pine nuts. 2 tablespoons is the daily serving.
- Avocado: You only need ¼ cup to fulfill your daily serving requirements.
- Olives: An afternoon snack of 10 olives would complete your daily serving.
- Dark Chocolate: Who wouldn’t want to try this after a meal? Make sure to not go over your daily serving of ¼ cup.
*As much as I’d like to tell you to include all of these foods in every meal, don’t! You don’t even need to use a whole serving; a little goes a long way. Just add a little MUFA per meal. So, if you’re adding olive oil to your salad, you don’t need to add avocado as well.